Thursday, August 17, 2017

Ya Gotta Love Summer BasketBall!!

I Refereed some high School League Basketball this afternoon.


Image by popo.uw23 via Flickr

I'm an average High School Referee.

The guy I was working with, well, here's his brief resume-


Arena Football Referee (Yes, that's the professional League the AZ Rattler's play in).
Pac 12 Football Referee
Has worked just about every post season College Bowl Game there is......
Junior College Basketball Referee working several years at post season play Offs & Arizona State Championships
High School Basketball Referee working several State Championship Games.

I suppose you could say he knows a little about Refereeing...... 

Had a game today- Home Team is up by 10 points with 1 minute to go.

My partner is on the Baseline.

The center for the Visitor Team gets the ball near the basline & drives the basket.

A Home team dad hollers out, "Travel!! That's a Travel! How can you guys miss a call like that!!??

I was standing right in front of the dad & commented, "The player's Pivot Foot stayed down. No Traveling Violation."

"You guys are horrible Refs!!"

I kinda think I'll trust my partner's experience on that call more than a biased dad in the stands 50' away from the call. Wouldn't you?

In another game the Coach has complained on just about every call his team had the ball on offense that we were missing calls......

Funny, now that I think about it, I don't remember him complaining we were not calling enough fouls against his players when they were on Defense. Odd, isn't that?

Anyway, round about the early part of the 2nd Quarter, after yet another pitiful whine about not calling a foul when his player drove the lane, my partner (yeah, the same guy whose resume I just listed) says to the Coach,

"Coach. You've complained to me every time I've run by your bench. I suspect you're hollering at my partner, cause I can see you yakking at him, when he runs by, too.

Both of us have worked mutliple AZ State Semi Finals & Championship Games. We have a pretty good idea of what a foul is in this league. So please, let us Ref and you focus on coachng!"

With that the coach finally stopped his yapping at us.

Ya Gotta Love Summer Basketball!!







No comments:

Post a Comment