Wednesday, August 2, 2017

OH WHAT A GAME!!! Part B

My final 2014 basketball game, a State 2nd Round game (the winner went to the quarterfinals) was a real barn burner in the Prescott High School DOMED arena. Yes, I said domed. First time I've worked a game there, too.


Patrick Whitehurst/The Daily Courier<br>The dome roof, ceiling tiles and outside wall of the Prescott High School gym, pictured during a recent volleyball game, were replaced and repaired with money from an $18.7 million bond approved by voters in 2004.
Prescott HS Gym image via The DailyCourier


With the arched roof, ALL the crowd noise rolled up to the ceiling and then came crashing down to the court!

And there was WAS LOTS of noise!

Phoenix Christian girls versus the same Fort Thomas Indian Reservation team we had in Miami. I think even the Circle K Clerks made it to Prescott. Seemed like 2000 screaming "Braves "fans. Yep, just like San Carlos, for Thomas is on an Apache Indian reservation and they are called the "Braves”.!

As I took my designated position to observe pregame warm-ups one adult Braves fan pointed to me and says, "We know you! You reffed us in Miami!”


"Yep ", I said, "the AIA said we do not call enough fouls on your team in Miami and sent us back to call some more. "

He laughed and replied, "well, I'm going to be watching you tonight! “

To which I said, someone needs to watch me. Who knows what kind of crazy calls I might make! “

As I went to inbound the ball to start the second half I walked past the same fellow and asked how I was doing. He said, "you're doing great but I want to talk to your buddy about some of his calls!!”

Phoenix Christian, down by two points with 10 seconds left in the game won by one point scoring on a breakaway layup and making a foul shot on the same play in a game that neither team had more than a three point lead throughout the second half. The Fort Thomas point guard fell down driving to the basket with five seconds left and her teammate, that recovered the loose ball, had her shot clank off the rim as the buzzer went off.

It was a great game to work!!














No comments:

Post a Comment