Saturday, August 26, 2017

A Complement to the Ref?

Not all schools have experienced adults working the Scorer's Table at High School Volleyball Matches…… Recently I worked some games when the Scorer's for the Freshman games were players on the JV team and then the Freshman players assisted at the Scorer's Table for the JV game. Things can go wrong sometimes……


So I do appreciate veteran Scorekeeping crews. Once you work long enough you come to know the Scorekeepers at some schools and develop a deep respect for their work.


Recently I arrived to a Volleyball Match at a High School which always has a veteran crew at the Scorer's Table.


The Scorekeeper, who does all their home Basketball games greeted me and commented he did not know I was also Refereeing Volleyball.


I explained this was just my 2nd year at it so it might appear I'm still not a Volleyball Ref.


He chuckled and said, "Well, as a basketball Ref, I do not always agree with the calls you made, but I do respect how you are always very professional about how to Referee." I take that as an ultimate compliment from someone who has seen a LOT of Basketball games and a whole bunch of Basketball Referees over the years.


Image by popo.uw23 via flickr.com


I do not expect everyone to like all my calls. Hey, sometimes I don't like some of my calls. Coaches, players and fans all see the calls from their perspective and own biases.


So to hear someone does not agree with all my calls does not bother me.

Being told I am truly professional in the way I Referee? Now THAT is something I am very happy to hear!











No comments:

Post a Comment