Friday, April 21, 2017

Seems Perfection WAS Possible After All

I was checking the Net Height prior to a Varsity Volleyball Match. That's part of the Referee's job, to make sure it is at the correct height.

It was 3" high on one end and 2" high on the other.

I asked the Athletic Director to please have the Net adjusted.

Out came the Assistant AD and says, "I had it at the right height. The floor must have shifted."

Seriously, That's what he said! For the floor to have shifted that much we would have experienced an earthquake!

I replied, "Well, I do not know if the Floor shifted or not, but we need to get that Net at the right height or someone is gonna be upset when a good Kill shot ends up in the Net. Probably you, since your daughter is the star Hitter for your team."


So he fiddles with it but could not get it right, gave me a glare & I said, "Look, I did not set up the Net, you did, so please do not complain to me. I am just trying to get it set up correctly."

"UTPA Volleyball 1 by Reynaldo Leal" by thepanamerican via Flickr

Then he decided my Net String Tape must be off and went to get his own tape measure.

Sure enough, my device was correct!

He was not too happy and fiddled some more to get it 2" high on one side and 1'' on the other.

I asked if he could at least please at least get it not more than 1" high?

He replied, "You can't expect perfection, Ref!!"

"Why not? YOU expect perfection from us Refs once the Match begins!"

He got the Net to be just under 1" off.

I was back at the same school the next week. Would you believe they had the Net at the correct height that nite!?

The real irony is his daughter was the Star "Outside Hitter" for their team and a too high Net could have caused her to hit balls into the net that could have been good "Kill" Shots!!

Seems perfection WAS possible after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment