Thursday, April 27, 2017

Refereeing at the US Airways Center

Yep, That's where the Phoenix Suns played.

Nope, 'tweren't a Suns or NBA game.

I'm just an average High School Referee, ain't no one at the NBA Commissioner of Officials looking up my phone number to call me to work their league! They told me a long time ago, "Don't call us, we'll call you."

Greenway High School does an annual High School Boys & Girls Tournament during the Christmas Break at the US Airways Arena. It is a Multi School event! David Dixson & I were just fortunate to have gotten an assignment to work one of the games today.

But WHAT A PLACE to Referee!!

You get to walk the walkways where the NBA players walk & dress in the locker rooms the NBA Referees use. Even got Granola Bars & Beverages on a table in the Dressing room. No, no alcohol, tho some fans sometimes think I Ref like I'm inebriated!


My Referee Partner Dave & I. 

We worked this Tournament a couple years ago when Alvin Gentry was the Suns Coach. They had a game later that nite & Coach Gentry was relaxing by the tunnel that leads off the court during the high school games. As we left the court after the game he nodded at us & David quipped, "Hey Coach, we're available to work your game later tonite if you need us!"

The Suns Coach chuckled and shot back, "That's be OK with me. You boys called a better game than some of the Refs we get!"

It was a nice compliment but, NO, the NBA did not ask us to work the game. We would not even have been allowed in the building unless we bought our own tickets!

Dec 20, 2014






No comments:

Post a Comment