Friday, June 30, 2017

HEY REF! CAN I ASK YOU A QUESTION


It was a Time Out & I was near the sideline & said, "Sure! Ask Away!".
He had a son playing for the team in the Blue jerseys........
"Isn't it a foul, on a Fast Break, for the dribbler to drop his shoulder and barge into the defense?"

"Yes, it could be," I replied.
"Well, why didn't you call it down there on the white team player (at the other end of the court) a minute ago?"
I said to him, "I DID see the dribbler drop his shoulder and bang into the defender. Did YOU see the defender bang his hip in to the dribbler at the same time?"
He said "no."
"That's because fans are biased and only see the fouls by the other team. I don't care who wins, so I saw BOTH fouls and I had 2 choices-
A - Call nothing because neither player gained an unfair advantage over the other by their actions.
B - Call a Double Foul- a foul on BOTH players.
I chose "A".
"Oh, I see what you mean" he said.....
I also had to explain to the same fellow that the 3 Seconds Violation Rule is NOT in effect when the players are trying to rebound in the lane area. There is no Team Control during a rebound situation.
I hear a LOT of fans hollering "3 Seconds! 3 seconds, Ref!" when the teams are rebounding in the lane..........
Now YOU know better than to do that!


Image by COD Newsroom via Flickr











No comments:

Post a Comment