Friday, June 30, 2017

So How Come You Are Letting That Coach Stand Up……?

Sometimes I just do not know if some coaches really do not know a rule or if they are just pretending not to know a rule to see how much they can get away with.

In High School Basketball, the Head Coach is allowed to stand and COACH – NOT yell at the referees – in a designated/ marked area in front of the Team's bench. Only the Head Coach can stand and coach in this "Coaches Box.”


But when a Head Coach receives a Technical Foul, or an Assistant Coach or other player/team assistant sitting on the bench gets a Technical Foul, the Head Coach loses the opportunity to stand and coach. He/she now abide by the "Seat Belt Rule" which essentially means the coach cannot stand up anymore to coach the team! The Coach is figuratively wearing a seat belt.


A few weeks ago I called a "T" on a Coach. Not long after that Coach was standing up in the Coaches Box coaching again, so I stepped over to remind the Coach he had to remain sitting. He sat down.


Again after a few moments, I see the same Coach standing up to holler instructions to his team.


I was well justified by this time to "Whack" the coach with another "T" and eject him. But then I have to fill out paperwork and send it in to the AIA to explain why I Ejected the Coach. I'd rather not do that if possible, so I tried the "nice guy” approach.

I again stepped over to the Coach. "Coach, I have now politely reminded you twice not to stand up while coaching because you have received a "T". The coach pointed to the other coach at the opposite end of the court and says to me, "so how come you're letting that Coach stand up then!? "
Image by Fort Meade via Flickr
It was all I could do not to start laughing……


I glanced at the other Coach, then back at the one with the "T" and said, "well, I suppose the reason I'm letting that coach stand up is because he does NOT have a Technical Foul. You do, so you get to sit. Stand up again and you will be ejected. Do you understand the rule now?”

Fortunately, one of his own team fans hollered out, "Come on coach! You have a Technical Foul and have to sit down!! We want to see the kids play."

The coach said he did now understand the role and remained sitting for the rest of the game.














No comments:

Post a Comment