Friday, May 19, 2017

I Like This Ref!

We had an unusual Violation Rule Call the other nite. Unusual for the fans and some coaches, but not to Referees......

During an Inbound Play (also called a Throw-In), the Defender reached across the "Vertical Plane of the Throw-In Line" and slapped the ball while it was in the Throw-In Player's hands.

A Technical Foul was called.

As my partner was administering the 2 Free Throws, I was standing along the sideline by the Mid Court Line, where the ball would be put back into play, and could hear some chatter from the fans asking each other, "What was the 'T' for?"

They had been well behaved, so I turned & explained that it was an Automatic Technical Foul for a Defender to slap the ball while it was being held by the Thrown-In Player.

A fan queried, "Aren't you suppose to warn the player first?"

It was "asked" in a tone that was more of an effort to try and tell me I had made a mistake, rather then a true question...... Some fans think they know the rules better than the Refs, you see......

So I replied, hoping my explanation would help those fans (and now my Online Friends, too) be more knowledgeable and not need to holler at future of my fellow Refs in similar situations,

Here's the explanation. I hope it helps!

"No sir. On the FIRST time a Defender reaches across the line but does NOT either hit the Thrown-In Player or slap the ball, THAT is a warning and a "T" the 2nd time it happens.

In this situation, the Defender slapped the ball and THAT is an Automatic Technical Foul. 2 Shots for the Offense and the ball placed at the Mid Court Line, which is why I am standing here now.

But if the Defender had slapped the Throw-In Player, THAT would have been an Automatic Intentional Foul. Still 2 shots, but the ball would have been put back in-play at the same spot where the foul occurred.

3 similar play situations but 3 entirely different Rules and Consequences."

A lady commented, "I did not know you Refs had to know so many Rules!" Then commented, "I like this Ref. At least he is willing to talk to us & let us know what happened!"


Photo by Chip Griffin via Flick

Knowledgeable fans are happier fans and holler less at the Refs.

I like it when the fans are happy......






No comments:

Post a Comment