Thursday, November 30, 2017

What About the 2 Step Rule, Ref!!??

I had arrived early to watch the JV Games Refs and file and "Observation Report" as Varsity Referees are asked to do thru out the season to help Non-Varsity Refs know what they can do to improve to become Varsity Referees.

I walked in during the 1st Quarter and there was only 1 Ref. he was standing along on the sidelines & I asked, "Are you working alone?"

"Yeah, I don't know what happened to my assigned Partner!"

"Ok. I'll get dress and help you out." I said.

So I worked 3 Quarters of the JV game and then the Varsity game went to Overtime. WHAT A NITE.......! In the Varsity game we "T'd UP" a Head Coach, "T'd Up" a player and ejected a Fan from the Visiting School. Won't they be excited to find out my partner & I are working their game next week, too.......

But back to the JV Game...... I called traveling on a player. The JV Head Coach hollered out, "What about the 2 Step Rule, Ref?"



I asked, "What 2 Step Rule?"

"You know, Ref, the Dribbler gets 2 steps after they stop dribbling! You gotta give my Player's their 2 steps!"

"Coach, I think you are confusing NBA Rules with High School Rules. There is NO "2 Step Rule" in High School Basketball."

He shook his head like I was the crazy one and sat down mumbling to himself.

With a Coach attitude like his and lack of Rules knowledge, I was not surprised during the Varsity game to overhead a JV Player say, "These Ref's don't know nothing about the Rules....They are LOUSY Refs!"

As the Commissioner of Officials said in our Pre-Season "Tip Off Meeting" this year, the Coaches do NOT know the Rules......This Coach was an example of that.

I also believe many of the problems with Fans yelling at Referees is THEY are confusing NBA Rules with High School, too.........








No comments:

Post a Comment