Tuesday, July 25, 2017

A Word About Coach Behavior

Some Coaches can be rather difficult and hard on referees……


By the same token, some Coaches demonstrate exceptionally good sportsmanship and focus on coaching their teams instead of trying to help Referee the game from the sidelines – even when we make the occasional bad call that goes against their team. If they are not sure what or why we made some call (sometimes I'm not sure why I call somethings…) they are respectful in they're asking and once the Ref makes an explanation they move forward, even if the explanation does not make the most sense……


When I work a game with a Coach that does exhibit outstanding sportsmanship I send a letter to the Principal and Athletic Director of that school (several years ago I asked the AIA (Arizona Interscholastic Association) Commissioners of Officials if there was any objection to my doing this and was told it was OK).

And so I do send out a few of those letters each season.
"Stack of Envelopes" by Seth Mason via Flickr


Apparently the Principles & AD’s are showing the letters to the Coaches from whom I get interesting interactions when I see them at another game or circumstance at a later time.


Two nights ago one such Coach stepped into the Hospitality Room at a Tournament I was working, saw me snacking on a Post Game edible and stepped over, stuck out his hand and said, “Thanks for the letter! Sometimes I know I can be hard on you referees, so I appreciate what you said in the letter.“


My response was, "Coach I am always ready to "T" Up poor behavior, I've given a few to you over the years as you know, and I'm just as happy to acknowledge excellent sportsmanship. "


He asked, "Do I get a "Free" holler at you the next game?”


"Nope. The next game is a whole new ball game!”


One Principal spotted me as I entered the gym to work a game and expressed his appreciation for a letter I've sent, saying the letter went in to the permanent file for the Coach and would be a positive reflection on future performance evaluations for that coach.


And finally, one Coach, who has perhaps won as many State Championships as any other active Arizona High School coach today saw me walk into a gym at a Tournament. Her team had just played and she was sitting with her players. I stepped into the gym, saw her and waved hello. She almost leapt up, ran over and said, "Vic, did you send a letter to my Principal?”


I asked if it was about sportsmanship?


She said it was and I said "it was possible…… "


"Vic, I know it was you! My Principal showed it to me and you signed it. “


So I confessed to what she already knew, after which she nearly started to cry saying it was the nicest thing anyone outside of her school or players had ever done for her.


I do not always make the right call. I may not always make the best of calls, but I am quite happy to send out a letter that has a positive impact on coaches that exhibit exceptional sportsmanship. I figure at least I get those "calls" right!
















No comments:

Post a Comment